Most people consider roulette as the “king-game” of the casino. Much like the dealers who offer the game, it’s elegant, glamorous, and fickle and bettors down the memory lane have been flocking to play this high-reward, high-risk casino game.
Enough with the toadyism. Teaching yourself how to play roulette and win isn’t as easy as it might look to many. There are different types of bets, rules and strategies that you have to get a handle on.
If you’ve always wanted to learn how to play online roulette, you must master the basics – and our brief roulette guide can help you do that!
In the next few minutes – 5 minutes to be more precise, we are going to take you through the nitty gritty of this popular and most sought after online casino game, by taking you through the following:
- A brief history of the game – it’s important to know something little about the origins of the game.
- The type of roulette games – here, we’ll mention the subtle differences too.
- The type of bets that you can place while playing roulette.
- How to play roulette and win.
By the time you get through the last section, you’ll be confident that you can play like a bona fide roulette expert!
|1||Get FREE 10 SPINS!||Visit Review|
|2||Get 100% up to £250!||Visit Review|
|3||₹250,000/- Welcome Bonus||Visit Review|
A little history on roulette
The word ‘roulette’ is a French word that means ‘little wheel’. This is the perfect name for the game as the roulette wheel is actually the centrepiece of the game. Everything in the game revolves around the wheel.
It is believed that the first roulette wheel was accidentally invented by Blaise Pascal, a famous French mathematician who lived in the 17th century, as he was trying to design a motion device.
This is an assumption because as early as during the Roman Empire, it is believed the Roman soldiers would always spin their swords and shields, placed their bets on the outcome of the spin, and those who guessed correct ended up winning the bets.
Regardless of the theories trying to explain the origin of the game, roulette has experienced a wild success beyond what the inventors could have imagined.
The Different Types of Roulette
Over the centuries, there have been several variations of the game developed including the European, American and French Roulette.
These are the main variations and all the other variants of the roulette wheel are just a modification of these three. Much of the gameplay and rules involved while playing the game are similar. The only difference comes or is determined by the number of zeros that each game has on its wheel.
The American Roulette Game – It has numbers 1 – 36 and two extra zeros; 0 and 00. This creates 38 potential winning numbers on the American Roulette game.
The European Roulette Game – It also has numbers 1 – 36 but instead of two extra zeros, it only has one single zero – 0 on the wheel. This reduces the potential winning numbers on the wheel to 37 instead of 38.
French Roulette Game – This is much similar to the European roulette game but has slightly different rules. It has the La Partage rule, which refunds you half your money should you land a losing even money bet and more especially when the roulette ball lands on the 0 pocket – read more.
*It’s important to note that because of the extra 00 on the American Roulette, the game has twice the house edge as compared to the European Roulette – 5.26% vs 2.70% – and as such, most of the players who prefer taking less risky bets prefer playing the European Roulette game.
The Types of Bets You Can Place on Roulette
While playing roulette, there are basically two types of bets that you place: they include inside and outside bets. We’ll go straight and look at these bets in brief.
- Straight Bets: This one simply involves betting on a specific number
- Split Bets: You’ll be betting on two numbers on the wheel at a go
- Street Bets: You’ll be betting on a row that has three numbers
- Corner Bets: You’ll be betting on four numbers on the wheel at a go
- Six Line Bets: You’ll be betting on six numbers on the wheel at a go
- Trio Bets: You’ll be betting on three numbers, including the 0 and 00
It’s worth mentioning that the inside bets come with very high risk, i.e., you’ll hardly win them, but with this high risk comes with high rewards. For example, placing a straight bet has the odds of 37:1 and the payout is set at 35:1. It’s the most profitable bet that you can place on a roulette wheel, and if you manage to win, you can really win big, like extremely big!
For inside bets, it was all about betting on numbers. But as for outside bets, you shall be betting on a group of numbers or colours on the roulette table. Some of the bets include the following.
- The Colour Bet: This involves placing a bet that the outcome will either be on a red or black colour
- The Evens/Odds Bet: You’ll be betting that the outcome of the spin shall be an even or odd number
- High/Low Bet: On the roulette table, there’s a section labelled High/Low. This sections contain the low numbers (1-18) and the high numbers (19-36). Therefore, by placing a low bet, you are predicting the outcome will be within the 1-18 numbers.
- Dozens Bet: You’ll be betting on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd dozen on the roulette table
As compared to the inside bets, the outside bets are less risky. Even those who see themselves as dare devils need a break from time to time! High/Low, Even/Odds and Colour Bets are even money bets and payout at 1:1, while the Columns and Dozen bets payout at 2:1.
How to Play Roulette and Win – Placing Your Bet
With all that said, below are the steps involved while placing your roulette bet. The steps outlined involve playing the game at an online casino or when you are playing the software based roulette game.
- Choose a reputable online casino website. This is important because it guarantees you safe, secure and a fair gaming atmosphere plus, you’ll be offered a variety of games from some of the best software developers
- Pick your preferred roulette game. Remember, all the games fall under the American, French and European Roulette. If you want high risk and high returns, the American Roulette variants are the best. Otherwise, you can try the French and European Roulette
- Place your bet by putting the chip over the number, colour or group of numbers that you think the roulette ball will come to a stop on. If you still aren’t sure on how to do this, you can ask for help from the dealer or watch a tutorial online
- Click on the spin button and wait for the outcome of the spin. The online casino automatically pays out the winning bets by depositing funds to your account.
One thing to remember is that roulette spins aren’t influenced by the outgoing spins. The results are determined by a Random Number Generator – which ensures that the outcome are totally random and unpredictable.
Good luck as you play this high-adrenaline game!